Many of you know that Isaac and Abigail are playing Upward basketball at a local church now. He's had a few practices, and Abigail started today. James is her coach and it was an entertaining morning. We were a little concerned she'd be frustrated that the team's name was chosen for them, and it wasn't the ferocious "Wolves" or "Leopard Seals", as she'd hoped, but "Sparrows". Yep, I know - pretty disappointing. One of the other teams is the Geckos though, so it could be worse! We've drilled the positive points we know about sparrows into her head, so she's been o.k. with it. She's been so anxious to start practice and the day finally arrived! The Sparrows' practice was pretty fun. What they lack in skill, they make up for in cuteness. Abigail was like an asst. coach. I feel a little sorry for those 6 boys (the rest of the team) - she wasn't bossy, but really hilariously informative and positive. "And, did you know that sparrows are faster than crows?", "They're small birds, but very quick." "Yeah, that's good! Keep it up!" "Dad, you are a great coach!" and "Great shot!" (when 2 boys actually did make it to the hoop.) She acted much more like part of the staff than one of the youngest players. Oh, Isaac and I laughed hysterically at her, though we hid it well. I made him turn around backwards, because he kept cracking up she was so sweet and happy and would wink and give us thumbs up all the time. I wish I could've video-d her. It was like she's waited on this moment for her entire, long 4 1/2 year life. She has waited 2 years - since my Aunt Cindy gave her a little Auburn basketball uniform when she was 2, she has wanted to play the sport. She knows nothing about it, though we did get the kids a goal for Christmas. Isaac practices often, but Abi hasn't too much yet. The goal is a little high for her.She is very motivated though, to practice with her team, and is so glad her Daddy is her coach.
Games start next Sat., and continue through Mar. 3 - all at 8 am. I know, lovely. Isaac will play after her next week, at 9:15, and I guess that may stay the same too. I'll let everyone know. You are certainly not obligated to come, but it will be some cheap entertainment, just a little early in the morning.
Assistant Coach Abigail - "Good Job!"

2 comments:
Sweet Abigail,
I am so proud of you. You are living life with all your might and that is so pleasing to God. You good attitude is very good and shows that you are becoming a wonderful woman. I love you very much.
Such sweet moments!
Post a Comment