I've been pondering an impossible thing the last few weeks. I wanted to compose some great post on how incredible my mom is, and how to convey her lifelong impact on me. Though it seems easy to write about friends and meaningful things they do, summing up a lifetime of devotion to one's family is a pretty daunting task. So, I'll just share things about this wonderful lady, in hopes you can catch a glimpse of the gift she is.
I love you Mom. I'm so happy to be your daughter. It's an honor to celebrate you.
She...is the baby of 5 girls...grew up all over the place as a result of her parents' divorce, remarriage, and her stepdad's Navy service: AL to FL to Germany to CA to FL to AL...graduated high school early...worked hard to become independent at 18 with her own place, Pinto, and job...self-motivated and driven...met and married my dad...became a mom to me at 19...stayed home in a new town with a newborn and very few relatives anywhere around to help out...became a mom again at 23...was always disciplined, with a weekly schedule of ironing day, laundry day, grocery day....sewed clothes for herself and me...is a meticulous, detailed person...skilled and talented...bravely helped clear over an acre in the woods with my dad so we could build our own home...the hardest-working lady I know...kept that land landscaped, and weeded, and in beautiful condition, with only our family's help...prepared nearly every meal we ate my 18 years at home, with eating in restaurants being a treat that happened only about 1 time a year...supported my Dad in his job...managed what was for years a tight budget without complaint...taught my class at church...remains faithfully committed to Christ and a relationship with Him...made our family her priority behind following Jesus...devoted herself to relationships, even difficult ones, to be an encouragement to others no matter whether they deserved it or not...unconditionally loves...is the picture of Southern charm and grace...is often mistaken for my sister, due to her youthful appearance...gave of her time and energy and emotion to take in foster children and love them as her own...loved our Isaac first, as his first real mom, then lovingly entrusted him to us as our son...is not self-seeking...never had a babysitter, daycare or girls' night out...wisely gives advice and shares experiences, when asked...corresponds with multiple friends across the world, and maintains close relationships through her letters...is no technical guru, but awesome at email...is not proud..loves documenting our lives with photographs, but with 35mm film..is fiercely loyal to her family and proud of our accomplishments...is a interior decorator extraordinaire...is sensitive and kind...willingly uprooted with my Dad to move to a new town 2 hours from the home they'd had for 30 years...never gossips or speaks unkindly of others...always hopes...immersed herself in a new church, neighborhood and community and made new friends that are dear kindred spirits...always perseveres...bravely confronted cancer, and chemo, and won that battle...is a tender, loving Gramma to our babies...
and an inspiration to many for her godly testimony.
Growing up, I often said "I wished I had a corner," meaning I wanted a little hideaway where I could get alone and just BE. It got to be kind of a joke in the family, but they understood what I meant - a spot just for me; to read, journal, garden, enjoy music, meditate on life, or pray. The "corner" I longed for wasn't even an actual place, but more, the opportunity to do those things I love. So, welcome and see what is going on in our family's corner!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome!
If you're new to our blog, thanks for stopping by! In the right column, you'll also notice our other blog's link, and on down the column, you can choose topics to read about, or follow our year's highlights in chronological order. We love to have visitors and comments, so feel free to let us know what you thought.
10 comments:
What a sweet dedication. I love it. Happy Birthday, kind lady!!!!
Wow. Thanks, Jenn, for sharing. And, thanks Jenn's mom for the encouragement that your life is.
Happy Birthday!
Now I know where you get it from... what a wonderful way to celebrate your mom.
Thank you for sharing about your mother! I hope she had a wonderful birthday. She's even an encouragement to me and I don't even know her!
That was beautiful and I agree with Tanya.
Jenn., you are such a precious daughter & your mom is such a beautiful person...I love "her story" & have to say, "You are as beautiful as her!"
What a sweet relationship you have...
What a wonderful birthday surprize! I feel bad for just seeing it yesterday, but was busy enjoying my best gifts--time with you, Jacob, Isaac, Abigail & your dad & welcoming a new nephew who now shares the 30th with me! I feel inadequate to live up to your beautiful compliments, but thankful God's enabled you to focus on the positive & not the unpleasant that He's still working on. Much love & thanks, Mom
Post a Comment