Saturday, November 11, 2006

Autumn Harvest

I love this season! Fall has always been my favorite time of year - cooler temperatures, changing leaves, birthdays of so many special friends and family, Auburn football, gardening: we always add new snapdragons and pansies to our flower beds, and they are some of my favorite flowers. These last 2 weeks have included some new fall opportunities. One was when we had a fun "field trip" to the Birmingham Zoo last week, and spontaneously started gathering leaves we saw. I never noticed the huge variety there are on the zoo's grounds. We even found some unusual seed pods. The kids really enjoyed finding a large collection of different sizes, colors, and shapes of leaves. When we got home, we pressed them for a few days, and then identified most of them. Together, we designed a wreath, so we could enjoy seeing our finds daily. We're so pleased with the results!
Then, today was the first day of our participation in a produce co-op. I didn't know exactly what to expect, having never done this before, and man, was a I pleasantly surprised! The laundry basket above shows how many fruits and vegetables we received. So many good things: broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, onions, celery, bananas, pears, apples, oranges, grapes - and everything so far has been tasty and fresh. We even had enough to share with a couple of friends. My hope is that we'll eat better, having a good quantity of fruits and veggies around, and I'm excited to get this much quality food, for such a good price!

4 comments:

Noel Fagan said...

JENNIFER!

You are teaching pure Charlotte Mason style! She is probably in glory shouting hallelujahs and amens over your nature find wreath! You are so creative!!! See, her ideas are really so (excuse the pun) natural, really! That's the way God intends children to learn, no stuffy dry textbooks, but firsthand!

AND - please tell me more about the produce co-op, when you have time. I'm interested in the idea!

Love you!

Michelle said...

I love the wreath, that is such a cute idea. What is the produce co-op that sounds so nice.

Anonymous said...

Your fruit/veggie basket looks so yummy! Is that where everyone pitches in $$ and splits the produce? What a fun wreath! Our leaves change color here in Texas but not because of the natural fall changes...they are usually dead because of lack of rain.

Jennifer said...

Finally, I'm responding to the co-op questions. Yes, a group of about a dozen girls pool their money, and a pair go every other Sat. to the farmers' mkt. to basically get all they can for the money they have. So far, it's been incredibly good. For $14 every other week, we're really enjoying it and saving money, and eating more good stuff! There are no openings currently, but if there are, I'll let you know!

Welcome!

If you're new to our blog, thanks for stopping by! In the right column, you'll also notice our other blog's link, and on down the column, you can choose topics to read about, or follow our year's highlights in chronological order. We love to have visitors and comments, so feel free to let us know what you thought.