SO, if you were unaware, there's been a bit of a conflict brewing lately around these parts. It involves chicken, homosexuality, the definition of marriage, and obscene amounts of drive-thru traffic. If you need clarification, please just go on about your business and be glad you missed the hullabaloo.
But, for the majority of us, the last week or so has been full of lots of news stories, propaganda from several view points, and facebook outrage. It has been disheartening, and tiring, to see folks get this fired up and angry over a man's opinion and the fallout from that simple statement.
I've tried to read several friends' posts about this subject, because I truly wanted to be as objective as possible. I want to understand the motive behind the anger and soapboxes folks are yelling from.
I just couldn't really get behind either side of the debate. On one side, I agree that God planned marriage to be between a man and woman, and I admire the Cathy family for sticking to their values, for many years - this is not a recent thing, ya'll - and for also staying out of the mess that's resulted from an interview.
On the other side, I see the frustration and the feeling of attack from the opposing side because they are seeking equality and this is another example that does point out the division among our nation's citizens. It is an emotional, passionate topic. I love friends on both sides of this situation. I am sad that feelings are hurt, people feel their rights are being taken away (again, on both sides), and mostly, I think Jesus hates that this type issue receives so much more attention than living the Gospel out daily ever has.
Romans 12: 9- 21
Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.
Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
Be
of the same mind toward one another;
do not be haughty in mind, but
associate with the lowly.
Do not be wise in your own estimation.
Never pay back evil for evil to anyone.
Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord. “BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."
Do you see what I see? give preference... brotherly love... bless, not curse... do not be haughty....on and on.
and then the kicker - be at peace with others if you can be.
I'm not condemning you if you ate at Chick-Fil-A today. Not in the least. That would be haughty of me. ;-) I'm just saying I knew we were not supposed to eat there. To me, today was the day to try to be away from the drama, jumping on a bandwagon, and having a "We'll show them!" type attitude. I just knew for our family, it would not have honored God anymore and possibly would've added to the perception to anyone on 'the other side' of this debate that we view this whole world as a "we versus them" battle. I am definitely sure that is not how we are to view those we disagree with.
I also feel frustrated that bazillions of people - who knows how many?! - ate out for a meal, or all three today, to show their support of a company, but could have used that money to sponsor a child in Swaziland for a MONTH.
$34 a month is the fee that allows a child to be fed, attend school, and gives them access to a young Swazi adult who will teach them God's word. It also connects them to a family here who will be their letter-writing, praying partner as they live in a world where a chicken sandwich would be a luxury they have never known.
Friends, we have got to focus on the big picture. God's Word is not only about one subject. And I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't address the power of the legislature to make laws governing marriage. It gives instruction to believers of how we are to live. How are others going to learn the vast truth of the Bible, and become believers, if we are making a big deal over a chicken fast food restaurant, and not about caring for our neighbor, much less impoverished, starving children in a country where most people die of AIDS before they are 40?!
I really am praying that Christians will work on getting this excited about loving others, leading them to want to have the joy we have and the hope we know, and that we will not spend our time judging and criticizing. I don't know that it affects anyone's eternal destiny in a positive way when we are contentious and antagonistic.
Sure, serving others, giving of ourselves, getting to know someone with an opposing belief and investing in their lives because we really care, and thereby making lasting impact IS harder than going through the drive-thru. But I'm convinced the rewards are worth it.
6 comments:
AMEN! Very well said my friend! And I absolutely agree on every point!
My heart is hurting for my gay friends tonight... I cannot imagine how they must feel after seeing all this hoopla today. And you know what? I can say that and STILL be a Christian. Because I'll bet Jesus' heart is hurting for them too. He loves them even more than I do (and I love them a lot!)
Thank you, Jennifer. I wish I had seen this around 10:30 this morning. I really do.
Well stated Jennifer. I stayed away too. There's enough hatred and anger in the world, I don't want to join in...at the end of the day you are free to eat at Chick fil a or not.
Finally, someone who put words to that niggling feeling that wouldn't be stilled. Thank you for writing, and thank you, Emily G, for sharing this post via Facebook.
Great post. Love you. I was just talking with a mutual friend about how I loathe the whole US vs. THEM mentality, when it is really WE who are in this together as people who all desperately need God's grace. You are so right-real relationships are not always easy, but people matter so much more than any of the rhetoric or a pseudo culture war.
Thank you for this. I couldn't make a status update brief enough to capture this...I was going to ask a similar challenge to everyone who went I didn't feel at peace with the proper words. I love how you put it. Expect to be "shared".
Post a Comment