Sunday, September 02, 2012

Here a Year - Our Home, Part 2: a year or so later

So, here I am, writing the next part of the whole house story. It's more than just about a house too, but really how contemplating our first year in our home has revealed a lot to me.

All these answered prayers and details regarding our move that were handled by Him are just sweet reminders of how God provides sweet touches that mean a great deal emotionally to us, but practically speaking, do not really matter.  Yep, I said it.


Am I thankful for our home that is so perfect for our family? Absolutely!! However, are the precious families I met in Africa, living in huts or HOMELESS, loved any less by God? Whew... No! 

Do you know how hard that is to say? That I don't deserve this home, any more than those Swazi families I met recently deserve to be poverty stricken?


I guess one huge lesson I have learned this past year, is how a house doesn't bring happiness. Our family is very happy in this home, and most days realize the great blessing it is. But, really, it's just. a. house. A safe place to live is all that we truly need. I think that I really do see that we can be happy whether we are here or back kinda squished in our little green house.

If our joy depends on where we live or what we have, 
then we probably don't know what joy actually is. 

Joy. It's not from stuff, or places. I have gained much perspective on having, and going without, in the last three months. I am not an expert on how this all affects me long-term, but I do know that I am changing loyalties. My desire to hang on to the things and places I love is shifting slowly...I see God moving in my heart and allowing me to be grateful for what I currently have, and also to be willing to release it if needed.

That is big. It is definitely from Him, because it's not my natural inclination. I'm a clinger - to people and stuff and memories. Sometimes that is sweet and sentimental. Sometimes it's plain selfishness and hoarding and fear. {Ouch.}

Keeping "things" in perspective, and in their place, is something I am working on. It's a twofold issue.
1) I am trying to not elevate the stuff I have to being a priority for me. 
I'm not materialistic in the sense that I don't care a whole lot about getting more, or buying new anything - clothes, shoes, vehicles.... I love the thrift store if I have to shop. I don't want brand new stuff, since I'll just mess it up. And, I'm not a shopper, and so that's not a big temptation, and I'm glad.
However, I am, as stated before, super sentimental. So the things in my life that I struggle with most are meaningful trinkets, gifts, items handed down from family members, or that I think should be saved to be handed down....Yes, I know that some of that is ok. I know better than to be paranoid about keeping a sweet piece of jewelry for Abigail that she'd treasure. I am having to practically think though, "Who will ever use or appreciate this stack of birthday cards _____ received last year?" Storing sentimental things can become so ridiculous, and paper clutter can overrun us if we let it. Then, I have the craft supplies that I am hoping to use eventually, but might mostly be sitting in boxes waiting on me to have "free time," whatever that is. Sheesh.

2) The other side of this problem is that I don't want to feel holier than anyone else or let pride ruin any good that could come when we choose to give instead of spend on ourselves. I have to remember to not be prideful in doing without. That's another temptation in itself.

One of my favorite stories about one of my most favorite Christian artists, Rich Mullins, has to do with this subject. Rich was famous for his generosity and detachment from materialistic wealth. He had more than fourteen songs top the Christian charts during the ’80s and ’90s, but he set up his finances in such a way that he would never know how much money he made. His income was managed by a board of elders from various churches and seminaries, from which he drew an allowance equal to the median income in America ($24,000). He wanted no more.

James Bryan Smith chronicles Rich’s journey in his biography “An Arrow Pointing to Heaven.” Here’s an excerpt:
'While Rich admired Saint Francis, he chose, as he said, to look at the Franciscan vow of poverty in the larger context of stewardship. Rich did not believe that being poor was any more spiritual than being rich. He believed that the aim was not to be possessed by possessions but to be free enough to give them away. He flirted with the idea of poverty, but his uncle, Dick Lewis, taught him an important lesson.
Rich told it this way:
“Before I got into this music business, I was determined to live a life of dire and grinding poverty. I remember my uncle saying, “You are so proud of being poor–what’s so great about poverty? You would do a lot better to be a little more industrious, a little more frugal. If you’re really concerned about the poor, becoming poor isn’t going to help them, it’s just going to ease your conscience. If you’re really concerned about the poor, go out and make a fortune and spend it on them.”

To some extent that is what Rich ended up doing. He supported countless people and churches and ministries with the money he earned in the music business.
Rich did not believe that to be a truly committed Christian a person had to be poor. He came to the conclusion that God intends that we have adequate material provision. Simplicity is the right attitude: have and enjoy what we need, and praise God for it without being captive to it. That is how he chose to live.'


I love this passage of Scripture, and pray that I can echo these words truthfully someday.  
I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:11-13).

 Then, the often quoted encouragement about how it's all going to burn anyway. :-) 
 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21)

I would so prefer to totally treasure relationships - with God my Father, and those He has put into my life, and let Him direct, and for that to be the motivation of my heart.

If I did do that,
investing my heart, my resources, my energy, and my passion -
 into His work, and His people (not any items or material wealth)
then I know the joy that I would receive would be beyond compare.

And that'll have to be discussed further in another blog post.

No comments:

Welcome!

If you're new to our blog, thanks for stopping by! In the right column, you'll also notice our other blog's link, and on down the column, you can choose topics to read about, or follow our year's highlights in chronological order. We love to have visitors and comments, so feel free to let us know what you thought.