It was beautiful here today - a mild late summer day, with a cooler afternoon that was perfect for playing outside. And, we did a lot of that! We splashed in the pool, played with the dog, had a game of catch, enjoyed loving on our cats (and a neighbor's), and watched Abigail showed off her new skill of riding her bike without training wheels.
The background on this, is that the other night we all went to the thrift store, and Abi quickly found a bike she loved, and wheeled it over to me. She said, "Isn't this perfect? And, it's a great price too! How much is it?" It was $9.99, and in good shape, and she really did need a newer bike, so James and I agreed to get it for her. Since Isaac learned to ride his big bike without training wheels, she's been a little envious, and has recently become more motivated to learn how to ride like him. On the last visit to my parents', Mom remarked that it wouldn't take her long, because she has good balance, and once she's made up her mind, there's no stopping this kid. Well, she certainly knew what she was talking about, and the first day home with the bike that it wasn't raining, my girl got to work. She's now taught herself how to zoom around, with no help at all. She wouldn't let me hold onto her, and kept declaring, "I know how - I just have to practice!" And, she has practiced, till today she was so confident, we made 3 laps around the neighborhood. It's pretty amazing, and so much fun for she and Isaac to be able to ride together now. The training wheels slowed her down a lot, and her old bike was small and she had to work so hard to pedal up the slightest slope. I'll have to put some video on here so you can see her fly! At one point this afternoon, she was demonstrating her competence to James and said, "Watch this trick!" as she tried to do something fancy, and he said, "Whoa - no tricks on the first day of riding!" She quickly answered, "This isn't the first day - it's the second, and that's trick day!" :-)
The big black cat in the pictures is our sweet Merlin, who is a 12 year old, very sweet, boy. The little black kitten is a neighbor's cat, Midnight, who prefers our yard and loving kiddos, and hangs out here all the time. Merlin tolerates him well, but Midnight is pretty playful and can be aggravating to the old fat feline. We laughed as Midnight tried to engage Merl today, only to have Merlin tag him a couple of times for being too pesky. They love to lounge in the herb garden near the catnip, as you'll see here. Midnight fits right in, being extremely patient with our exuberant animal lovers, as demonstrated by Abigail trying to place him in her new bike's basket.
It was such a nice day to relax at home, and we thank God for the gorgeous weather! Fall is almost here!!
O.k., I think I figured out the video thingy, and here are Isaac and Abigail riding. She said, "Watch - I'm so good, I can do opera and ride my bike."
Growing up, I often said "I wished I had a corner," meaning I wanted a little hideaway where I could get alone and just BE. It got to be kind of a joke in the family, but they understood what I meant - a spot just for me; to read, journal, garden, enjoy music, meditate on life, or pray. The "corner" I longed for wasn't even an actual place, but more, the opportunity to do those things I love. So, welcome and see what is going on in our family's corner!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome!
If you're new to our blog, thanks for stopping by! In the right column, you'll also notice our other blog's link, and on down the column, you can choose topics to read about, or follow our year's highlights in chronological order. We love to have visitors and comments, so feel free to let us know what you thought.


4 comments:
Laney and I are laughing SO HARD at the opera and the bike riding. Laney keeps making me play the video over and over again! I am so proud of her for learing to ride all by herself. She told me her news first thing in choir today. Funny thing is, Laney got a new bike too, and she started to learn how to ride it yesterday! Thank you for the motivation... :) I love Abigail Rose!!!!!
Yea, Abigail. I am so proud of you!
LOL!!! I loved that video! That was so great! She is really too cute.
I adore every inch of this sweet girl!!! This doesn't surprise me; our little actress!
Isaac rides awesome, too:)
Post a Comment